The following are some of the most common reasons why your garage door opener isn’t working properly: The remote control’s batteries need to be replaced, or the door needs to be lubricated. It’s possible that the safety sensors are misaligned. A garage door opener may abruptly cease working for a variety of reasons.
If you own an older model, the garage opener uses tiny switches to operate the system. Systems that use these (DIP) switches rely on radio frequencies and switch settings, while newer garage door openers use wireless signals.
Resetting your Garage Door
Perform the following steps in order–
Total Time: 10 minutes
Inside newer garage opening units is a button labeled ‘Home’ or ‘Learn’, which plays an important role in resetting and programming the opener to your control or keypad.
Next to the button is an LED whose color may vary by brand. Depending on the brand you have, the LED light might be purple, yellow, orange-red, or green.
Pop open the door of the opener unit to access the LEARN button. Typically, you will find the button next to the unit’s antenna.
Press and hold the LEARN button for about 6 seconds or until the LED light next to it turns off. This will reset the opener and erase all remote controls and keypads linked to it.
The light bulb inside the opening unit will flash, letting you know the reset is successful.
Try to open the garage door using your remote control or keypad. Ideally, the door shouldn’t open if the reset is a success.
An alternative method to reset the garage opener
If your garage door opener isn’t working, it may be because it needs to be reset. Here are the steps to reset it:
- Disconnect the power to the garage door opener by unplugging the transformer from the outlet.
- Wait at least five minutes for the capacitors in the opener to discharge.
- Plugin the transformer and reconnect the power to the garage door opener.
- Push and hold both buttons on the wall control unit until you hear a beep. The door will then open or close.
- If it doesn’t open or close, release both buttons and press and hold them again until you hear a second beep.